A Shopping Trip















This week, I went to the grocery store for the first time since March 15th. Like many other families, we are trying to limit the number of times we go to the store and the number of family members who are exposed to public contact. My husband is the designated grocery-runner for the family, but, after five weeks of social distancing, I felt a strong urge to go out and do something that felt sort of normal. The experience was anything but normal.

My initial plan was to go to Trader Joe's, our one-stop shop for the organic produce, fruits, and alcohol :-) that we were beginning to run low on. When I pulled up to the store, I found a line of 25 socially-distancing shoppers snaking around the tiny parking lot. Given that only a certain number of people were being allowed in the store at the same time, I estimated that it would take me at least half an hour to make it inside. Once inside, I imagined that it would be a stressful shopping experience with people being hurried along quickly to make room for the others waiting outside. These considerations, in conjunction with my inherent aversion for standing in lines, led me to seek the next best alternative down the street, Sprouts. I was aware that they did not carry the wide selection of wines and other liquors I was hoping to peruse at Trader Joe's, but, I guess tough times call for tough choices.

There was no line in Sprouts. So, I covered my nose and mouth with my scarf (the masks we purchased are back-ordered on Amazon), donned the latex gloves that had just been delivered, and strode into the store with the confidence of a masked bandit. Once inside, I quickly realized that the norms of grocery shopping had changed drastically over the past month that I had been sequestered at home. All shoppers and store-workers were wearing masks. Those that did not have gloves were using clear plastic bags to cover their hands. Spots for people standing in line at the counter had been clearly marked with blue tape, six-feet apart. On the shop floor, shoppers were trying to maintain their distance from each other, but it was difficult to determine what etiquette needed to be followed. Is it ok to go into an aisle if someone is already there? Is it safe to approach a shelf right after someone has been in front of it? Is it ok to go around a person if you are not able to maintain the recommended 6 feet distance in doing so? I found myself overthinking everything. Then there was the discomfort of the mask, or in my case, the face covering. Call me weird, but I felt clumsy having it on while trying to consult my shopping list and maneuvering the cart around the store. The fact that excess supplies of non-perishable items had been stacked high on the store floor for easy access to customers, made navigating the cart around even more tricky. I almost knocked over the 3 feet-high stack of bottled water that now occupy half the space in front of the dairy section. At the counter, instead of using the grocery bags I brought from home, the store provided plastic bags, a departure from usual practice. 

Apart from my own unease with the new shopping paradigm, the store itself was well-stocked, thanks to the folks who are working despite the lockdown. I loaded up on fresh vegetables, fruits, milk, cheese, and eggs. The wine racks were full. The Pinot Grigio I picked up is chilling in the fridge ready for happy hour this afternoon.

To showcase the fresh grocery purchases, our lunch today featured an egg casserole packed with tomatoes, red peppers, mushrooms, and green onions. On the side, we had a crisp salad topped with strawberries and walnut. The Pinot Grigio would have made a perfect pairing, but I thought I should not start drinking before four in the afternoon!

Egg Casserole With Vegetables

What You Need:

2 cups shredded cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
⅓ cup sliced green onions
½ medium bell pepper, chopped
4 oz sliced mushrooms
6 oz cooked ham, cut into thin bite sized strips 
8 eggs
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 ¾ cups milk

Directions:
Spray a 13”x9” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle half the cheese evenly into the dish. 
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, ½ medium bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook until the onions and bell peppers are tender. 
Arrange the vegetables over the cheese in the baking dish. Top with ham strips and sprinkle the remaining cheese on the ham. 
Beat eggs in a large bowl with the milk. Sift flour gradually into egg mixt, blending to break up clumps after every addition. 
The mixture can be covered and refrigerated overnight at this point or baked right away.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered for 55 to 65 minutes. 
Remove from the oven and let the casserole stand for 10 minutes before serving. To serve, cut into squares.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Khoba Roti

The Echo

Maggi to the Rescue