The Art & Science of Baking















I learned early on in my cooking years that baking is a science. A few months after we got married, we had some friends over for dinner. Instead of opting for a store-bought dessert as any other sensible, neophyte in the kitchen would, I decided to make a two-layer vanilla chocolate cake, from scratch! In another rookie move, I made the cake last, after everything else for dinner was ready. This meant that when the individual cakes failed to rise higher than an iHop pancake, there was no time to salvage the disaster. In hindsight, I think I must have miscalculated the proportions of baking soda and baking powder in the batter creating a failed scientific experiment in the form of deflated cake layers.

Raised in a culinary culture where recipes are rarely written down and ingredients measured in pinches and fistfuls, the specific, methodical approach of baking seemed alien at first. I learned from failed attempts like the cake from that ill-fated dinner party, that I could not take liberties with baking recipes. I could not substitute one ingredient with another willy-nilly or eliminate an ingredient just because it was not conveniently at hand. I also had to calibrate the temperature settings of my oven to the recipe as not all ovens are created equal. Over time, I have discovered the comfort of following a baking recipe to a T and the joy of unmoulding a perfectly risen cake at the end of the process. Learning from that long-ago mistake, I commit to making iced, layered cakes only when I have time on hand (preferably, over multiple days), reserving those bakes for special occasions. What I bake on a regular basis are breakfast breads and muffins that make for quick on-the-go bites or snacks to pack for school lunches. By and large, I follow the original recipes for these bakes, but I have found some tweaks over time that do not compromise the taste or texture of the finished products. I daresay that as long as you follow the basic science of baking, there can be an art to it as well.

This lemon yogurt cake is a favorite in our family and is almost always in the baking rotation in the summertime. It is a lighter version of a pound cake with the lemon and yogurt adding a sharp tanginess. The original recipe is from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa. After making the cake multiple times, I have adapted the original recipe in the following ways:

-- I replace the whole milk yogurt called for in the original recipe with 2% or 0% fat yogurt. To make sure that the recipe still works, I place the low-fat yogurt in a strainer for about 30 minutes prior to adding to the batter. This allows the excess whey to drain out. This tweak was made more out of convenience than any concern for reducing the fat content of the cake. I almost never have full fat yogurt in the fridge, but if you do have full fat yogurt, by all means, use that and skip the straining part.

-- I reduce the amount of sugar syrup suggested in the original recipe as I found that I only needed about 1/4 cup to soak the cake and I don't like wasting stuff.

-- I omit the glazing suggested at the end of Ina Garten's recipee. I found that the cake does not suffer in taste or texture because of the omission and I could do without the extra sugar. If you are baking for company and want a prettier finish to the cake, go for the glaze.

-- I also found that the cake is more absorbent if I poke tiny holes all over before pouring the syrup on top.

Oh, and I make an Orange Yogurt Cake following the same recipe in the winter using orange zest and freshly squeezed orange juice.  Besides these transgressions, I follow all the rules ;-)



What You Need:
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt (placed in a strainer for 30 minutes prior to adding to batter)
1 1/4 cups sugar (divided)
3 extra large eggs 
2 tsp grated lemon zest
½ tsp vanilla extract 
½ cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Grease a loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment or wax paper. Grease and flour again after lining.

In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.

In another bowl, whisk together yogurt, 1 cup of sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.

Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.

Fold the vegetable oil into the batter till it is incorporated into the mixture.

Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or till toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

While loaf is baking, cook 1/4 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a small pan till the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. 

When the cake is baked, allow it to cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Loosen the sides and carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan while the cake is still warm.

With a toothpick, poke holes all over the cake. Pour the lemon - sugar mixture over the cake, a little at a time, and allow it to soak. 

Serve with Darjeeling tea on the side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Khoba Roti

The Echo

Maggi to the Rescue