Khoba Roti


Do you ever get a tune stuck in your head? That happens to me with food -- instead of a tune, a new dish/preparation gets stuck in my head and till I actually cook whatever it is I am obsessing over, it stays with me. That was the case with this Khoba Roti that has been in the back of my mind for a long time -- ever since I saw the winning team of the Big Family Cooking Showdown make them in the finals. A regional variation of the basic Indian roti, this rustic, whole-wheat flatbread with handmade patterns, hails from the majestic state of Rajasthan.

Before I saw Khoba Roti in the show, I did not know that any Indian flatbread had patterns on them. This, in itself, made it an enigma worth exploring. The technique for creating the patterns by pinching the dough was simple as well as fascinating. I could see that the ridges helped the dough cook evenly and formed nooks and crannies for the ghee to collect. In spite of my extensive musings on the Khoba Roti, I shied away from making it for a long time. This is primarily because my bread-making game was non-existent before the lockdown. I did not even make regular old rotis at home, let alone their fancier cousins from the royal kitchens of Rajasthan. However, there was the image of the Khoba Roti, with its rough-hewn patterns drenched in ghee, stuck like a nagging tune in the back of my head.

Having gained a little bit of confidence in roti-making in my lockdown kitchen, I thought I would give Khoba Roti a try. I found that my misgivings were unfounded because it is actually easier to make Khoba Roti. Since the rotis are thick, not a lot of rolling is involved and due to their heaviness, one roti person is usually enough. I LOVE the patterns on the bread and know that you can have a lot of fun with them. I already have ideas for a make-your-own Khoba Roti party where guests would design and cook their own rotis.



                                                                                                                                                   
What You Need (For 3 Rotis):
2 cups whole wheat flour
41/2 tsp neutral oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caraway/cumin seeds
3/4 cup water
Ghee

Directions:
Place flour into a big mixing bowl. Rub 4 tsp oil, salt, and caraway seeds into the flour to make a loose, crumbly mixture. 

Add water, a little at a time and knead to make a tight, smooth dough. Smear 1/2 tsp oil on the dough ball. Cover with damp paper towel and let dough rest for 20-30 minutes.

Divide dough into three equal portions. Lightly dust each portion with flour. Flour rolling pin and rolling surface lightly.

Roll each portion into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Make shallow cuts all over one side of the roti. Flip over and make patterns by pinching the dough with fingers. Dig deep into the dough, without creating any holes or tears.

Place roti in a preheated skillet, patterned side up. Roast over low flame till the bottom of the roti is light brown in color (4-5 minutes). Flip over carefully and cook patterned side for another 4-5 minutes.

Gently pick up roti from pan and place directly on an open flame, pattern side down, so that the rotis get a light char all over.

Remove from heat and drizzle liberal amounts of ghee over the crevices on the roti. Serve with thick, spicy daal.

Comments

  1. SO beautiful! Can't wait for the Khoba Roti party :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never knew such a roti existed in India...but then, how little do I know of this huge country anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Echo

The Incredible Egg