Pui Chochhori & Spring Planting


Every year, in early April we plant herbs and vegetables in a raised bed in our backyard. Due to the lockdown, I was not sure how I would get the seeds and saplings that I needed for my spring planting. First, I tried the local nursery where I typical buy my plants every spring. Their web site indicated that though the nursery was closed, they were offering curbside pickup service. When I called to place an order, the lady who answered the phone said that the city had shut down the curb-side pickup as it was not deemed an essential service. Next, I tried ordering online, but most vendors were either out of stock or had a month-long delay in delivery. Then, a friend I was speaking to happened to mention that she got her plants from Home Depot. "What? Home Depot is open?" "Home Depot, Lowes, both are open. Just wear a mask when you go," she said, clearly doubting my ability to navigate the lockdown world. "Of course they are open," said my husband when I reported my finding to him, "Hardware stores are exempt from the lockdown order." Hardware stores that also happen to sell a lot of plants! Why he did not point this out to me while I was looking for plants and seeds online and seriously considering signing the petition to open the local nursery, I do not know. Surely, most people had bought their plants at the right time and had a thriving vegetable patch already.

Not to be disheartened by a late start to our spring planting, we went to Home Depot today to pick up some seeds and plants. The days have just started warming up and there is still plenty of time for a summer harvest... I think. As soon as we pulled into the Home Depot parking lot, I realized we were not the only ones late to the spring planting game. There was a long line to get into the store and once inside, most shoppers made a bee line for the garden center, picking up dozens of fruit, vegetable and flower plants. I had read that gardening has really taken off during the lockdown. Apparently in these uncertain times, the calming work of planting and nurturing plants is providing folks with comfort, helping them engage the whole family in a collaborative activity and enabling them to grow their own food at a time when food items are being rationed. Though, I am not entirely certain about the validity of the last claim, there is definitely a joy in picking the fruits of your labor from the vegetable patch and cooking a fresh meal with them. I am hoping that in about two months, the vegetables we have planted will be ready to hit our table.

In the mean time, we are still lucky to get a lot of fresh vegetables at the stores. During the lockdown, I have found myself cooking with produce that I usually avoid as they either require longer prep time or a specific ingredient pairing that I may not always have at hand. Malabar Spinach or Vietnamese Spinach is one of those leafy greens. In Bengali we call this bright green, soft-stemmed leaves, Pui Shaak. While the leaves themselves are easy to clean and cook, the typical Pui Chochhori or dry stir fry, requires the addition of several vegetables (pumpkin, potatoes, and eggplant) and small, fresh bay shrimp. I happened to have all the ingredients in the fridge when I picked up a bunch of Pui Shaak at the Indian grocery store. So, there was no excuse for not making this typical Bengali classic.

What You Need:
One bunch Malabar or Vietnamese Spinach (washed thoroughly, stem separated from leaves. Stem chopped into half inch pieces and leaves roughly chopped.)
Half of a kabocha pumpkin (peeled, seeds and pulp removed, cut in 1 inch cubes)
1 thin, long, purple eggplant (wash, trim, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
1 medium-sized red-skinned potato (wash, peel, cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
1 cup shelled, small fresh bay shrimp (I buy mine at Costco)
1 tsp paanch phoran (Bengali 5 whole spice medley -- cumin, fennel, fenugreek, mustard, and nigella)
2 dried red chilis
1 tsp turmeric
11/2 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp mustard oil (or other neutral oil)

Directions:
Sprinkle some salt on the cut eggplants. Set aside.

Sprinkle 1/4 tsp turmeric and 1/2 tsp salt on the bay shrimp. Set aside.

Heat 11/2 tbsp oil in a frying pan fitted with a lid. Add paanch phoran and dried red chilis. Wait till spices sizzle.

Add potatoes and stir fry with spices for 2-3 minutes, making sure that the potato does not brown.

Add kabocha cubes to the pan. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Add salt and turmeric and cover pan partially with the lid so that the steam from the vegetables is not trapped in the pan.

After about 5-6 minutes, add eggplant cubes and pui stems, ginger paste, and continue to stir till the raw smell of ginger subsides. Add a few splashes of water to the pan if needed. Reduce heat and cook partially covered. 

In a separate pan, heat the remaining 1/2 tbsp oil and lightly fry the small bay shrimp, about 2 minutes. 

Add the fried shrimp, sugar, and Pui Shaak leaves to the stir fry. Stir to incorporate everything and folding the leaves into the cooked vegetables. Partially cover the pan and cook till the leaves are wilted and all the excess fluid in the pan is absorbed.

Serve with steamed rice.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Khoba Roti

The Echo

The Incredible Egg